Estrogen is such a powerful hormone and is part of so many different processes and reactions in the body! There are estrogen receptors EVERYWHERE IN THE BODY (gut, brain, etc)! Because it is so important, if there is an imbalance, it creates a host of issues. Your estrogen levels will normally fluctuate through your cycle and as we go through puberty, pregnancy, peri menopause and menopause.
When we are exposed to xenoestrogens from BPAs, Phthalates, plastics, heavy metals, fragrances, birth control, non-organic feminine-hygiene products and so on, our body builds up toxic levels of estrogen. Why doesn’t it eliminate it? Well hormones and toxins are pushed out through the liver and kidneys (aka emunctories) via urine and stool. However, because of the high levels of toxin exposure we are faced with day to day as well as chronic stress, consumption of alcohol and stimulants and our modern inflammatory diets, our emunctories get congested and cannot release toxicity quickly enough. This causes our body to hold onto excess hormones and toxins which is where the imbalance is created.
Some symptoms that are seen with elevated estrogen levels are:
- Breast tenderness, breast cysts, heaviness/fullness in breasts
- Short menstrual cycles (under 28 days)
- Heavy periods
- Uterine fibroids/endometriosis
- Mood swings
- Depression and anxiety
- Hormonal migraines
- Spotting mid cycle
- Weigh gain/difficulty losing weight
- Cervical inflammation
Estrogen that is not eliminated can become carcinogenic and puts you at risk for chronic illnesses such as autoimmune disease, IBS, breast and ovarian cancers, endometrial cancers, cardiovascular issues, thyroid imbalances, insomnia, and much more !
Some ways to help your body rid itself of excess estrogen is to:
- Consume PLENTY of cruciferous veggies and leafy greens
- Eat flax and chia seeds daily for fiber
- Detoxify the liver with herbs or homeopathics
- Try supplementing with DIM (Di-indolyl-methane)
- Sleep with your circadian rhythm
- Support methylation and COMT pathways with glutathione, calcium, magnesium, NAC and DIM
- Do my seasonal candida and parasites cleanse ebook (includes liver drainage)
- Avoid all phytoestrogens and endocrine disrupters including hygiene products, skincare, makeup, plastic bottles, perfumes, etc
To learn more about estrogen toxicity and how you can rebalance your hormones naturally, check out my Hormone Course for more info!